Wednesday, August 1, 2012

In Search of Brook Trout


Brook trout hold a special place in my heart and I just love chasing after them.  Dealing with a major drought for much of the summer the small brook trout streams have been a little hard to fish and conditions for the fish have not been much better either.  With recent rains the conditions on these small streams have been absolutely great.  Excellent water flows and good temperatures have made fishing above average for this time of year.  When your usually dodging rocks and fishing big pools now the whole stream opens up to fishing.  With these great flows and some time off from work I was ready to chase these great trout so I headed for the Mon Forest in search of some small streams.  I pointed the truck towards one of my favorite streams that I like to get out on that usually has pretty decent numbers of fish.  Pulling into the parking lot and not a person around I took my time rigging up then hit the trail in search of trout.  Fishing started off a little slow but once I got the fly size and color and such dialed in and my rusty small stream casting polished up I was into trout in no time.  They were whacking a yellow stimulator with ease.  The numbers were great but the size was mainly smaller fish a few decent ones mixed in as well.  With brookies sometimes the size is only half the equation what makes them so special is where they come from such amazing beautiful places and there colored up like the true wild trout they are.  It was a great day to be on the water with good flows, nice cold mountain water, fishing in solitude, a nice short hike, a few geocaches, and of course eager little brookies to take the dry! 

Next brought up another day trip and the truck headed towards Elkins then the Higland Scenic Highway for another adventure in the Mon Forest.  After checking out a few scenic overlooks, the cranberry glades, and a short hike trout were to be found.  After a tip from a fellow WVAngler I ventured out to try out a new stream and see if I could find some more little brook trout.  Started off with the stimulator early this time and the trout were quickly eager to take the fly on top.  Managed a few small brookies with just a short time on the water.  Its just amazing the places this fish come from each pool is truly photographic and amzing.  The fish truly is only a part of the equation and comes as a bonus after being blessed to be able to spend time in such amazing places God has created for us.  The search will continue as there are always new places and more brook trout to be caught on the fly!



No comments:

Post a Comment